Monday, February 11, 2008

Lost youths


I'm feeling depressed with the world lately. I'm working myself up day by day into one of those funks which are hard to shake off, because they are so easily fed with so many examples which demonstrate that the world is in many ways a terrible place. It wouldn't be so bad if the world were inherently terrible; I could accept that more easily. It's that the world is beautiful, and that I love life, and it feels like all of its potential goodness is being squandered- not only squandered but distorted into unrecognizable forms. There are so many wrongs that need to be righted and it's hard to hope that they ever will be. At times like this I question why I even want to have children. Life is hard, we don't know what it's for, we don't know what to do with it. The world is a fucked up place full of mostly fucked-up lives. Do I want to inflict existence on my progeny just because I don't know what else to do? I am afraid to imagine sometimes what kinds of lives my children and grandchildren will have, what kind of world they will live in. The signs are bad.

In recent weeks, I've seen a few things which have upset me. One, I saw a perhaps thirteen year old boy eat a chocolate bar first thing in the morning at the bus stop and then deliberately drop the wrapper on the ground. Meaning, this kid lacks even the most basic concepts of ecology, pride in one's home town, and cleaning up after oneself, not to mention of a healthy breakfast. Basically, I interpret the whole thing, the eating and the littering, as this kid screaming out "I feel like a garbage can, people treat me like garbage, I treat them like garbage. I therefore see no point in trying to avoid wading through a sea of garbage." Though, of course, as a Brit, he was probably using the word rubbish as opposed to garbage. My thoughts filled me with despair, as did the feeling that nothing I could say could get through his wall of ignorance. Not even if I quoted to him from "The World Without Us," a depressing and compelling book which details how the sea has literally become a sea of garbage, millions of tiny pieces of plastic to be precise.

A couple weeks ago, I was sitting on the upper deck of the bus. Across the aisle, two teenage girls were talking and laughing, one of them playing music on her phone. At times it seemed so loud, I wasn't even sure if it was coming from her phone, or from something more powerful. I had my headphones on, and I could still hear the music plain as day. I took a headphone out of one ear, and said to the girl "Is that your music?" with a little smile. She looked at me, immediately quizzical and confrontational. "What?" "Is that your music?" I said. "But you got your earphones on, isn't it?" she asked. "Yeah," I said. "But I can still hear it." "How can you hear it if you got your earphones on?" she asked, pushing up her face. "Because it's really loud," I said. "Do you think you could turn it down a bit?" "It's not even loud!" she said aggressively. Then looked at her friend and laughed. "I asked you politely," I said. "You could respond politely." She didn't answer.

The last and most disturbing event was also on the bus. Three twelve or thirteen year old boys piled onto the back of the bus on the upper deck. They were laughing and joking and shouting, as kids do, but literally everything they were saying was an obscenity. High pitched voices, horseplay, and "you cunt! oh, you cunt!" "stop it you twat!" "Oy, your mom's a bitch!" "Fuck you! Your mom's a dog. She takes it doggy-style." Not yet full grown-men, already fully trained woman haters.

The thing that is the saddest is these kids, the litterer and the swearers, the rude girl, are not entirely to blame. They are, in a sense, victims. They are sponges who soak up the culture we immerse them in. A culture that values above all style, surface, sexiness, and possessions. A culture which places little value on being smart or spiritual or basically caring about other people. These youths are mirrors we look into and recoil from because we don't recognize what we see. There is sickness and corruption here, in our culture, in our world, and we ought to take responsibility for that. We ought to stop wondering what wrong with these kids and start wondering what's wrong with all of us.

7 comments:

The Eyechild said...

Hi Renee,

Yeah I know what you mean about kids.. I can't even really contemplate 'having kids' in the abstract because it is just such a messed up world. From a purely selfish point of view of course it's the closest we'll probably ever get to immortality, by passing on our genes.

What gets me is people who just have kids because they're bored.. or as some kind of lifestyle accessory.

As for 'ver kids'.. In fairness, from my memories at school, kids in general can be pretty damn mean and twisted, but some of the kids I've seen in London are something else.

I have to say.. with regard to the youths general rudeness, setting environmental factors aside, you'd have to apportion a fair amount of the blame at the feet of the parents. I dunno. Perhaps those kids will grow up, have kids and be lousy parents, and another generation of selfish, aggressive children will be born. Quite depressing really.

Anyway, good to read your thoughts.

x

Unknown said...

Hi Renée

Long time no see!

I have to agree - it's depressing. I'd like to have kids too but I wouldn't risk them growing up in London. London is a place for the thick-skinned, and children are rather more sponge-like. Not that the M25 is the boundary to these attitudes of course.

I have to agree with The Eyechild there really. The common problem(s?) that you highlighted are also largely inherited due to what I'd call bad parenting. And those traits look set to be passed down again and again, unless something breaks the cycle. The million dollar (or pound) question, of course, is what?

I'm of the opinion that overpopulation is at the route of 99% of our problems, though I have a hard time convincing people of this.

Zeno Cosini said...

Man, I've got to say, I feel totally different about it. I know I'm doing another kind of generalising here, but I LOVE listening to groups of kids, especially teenagers, talking. OK, lots of obscenity, lots of mum-related insults (I remember unleashing some of those when I was at school) but many's the time I've been sat on the top deck of the bus or opposite a group of kids on the tube, with my shoulders just rocking with silent laughter at how completely brutally irreverant and witty they're being. And hoping they won't notice. And OK, OK, they're just as often being a pain in the arse, and you hear a lot of crudeness and obscenity too, sure, but I don't know. Maybe I'm sentimental, but I really don't think kids are any worse than they've ever been.

Unknown said...

Oh. Maybe I missed out back then, going to my "posh" school and all that (which I hated, incidentally).

I'm sure the vast majority of the kids on the bus will grow up just fine, though there is clearly a degree violent crime involving the young which far surpasses anything that went on back in good ol' Stockport, unless I was just unaware of it at the time. Example »

Though on the other hand, violent crime is apparently down on mid-90s levels (Home Office) so, well, I'm no expert. Maybe the mid-90s isn't a great crime benchmark to compare against.

Either way, I do accept that that the older generation has always been of the opinion that the world is going to the dogs. In renovating our house we found a 1960s newspaper lodged behind a false wall, containing an article about how kids these days have no respect any more. And attitudes weren't exactly great back then were they?

So maybe on the whole kids are no better or worse than when we were that age. It's subjective. But even if so, we could still do a lot better. Growing up in Stockport was horrible!

Zeno Cosini said...

I love finding old newspapers.

But I can beat that. I remember studying Latin at school, and having to translate a short tract by one of the great writers of the 1st century AD - can't remember who, I think it might have been Tacitus. And it was all about how the youth of the day lack manners and respect, that there was a great and horrifying schism between his generation and the next! So yes, I think it's just symptomatic of us getting OLD, rather than the world being any worse than it ever was.

Sparrow said...

I don't know. Maybe people have always felt the world was going to hell, but I think something has changed. I don't feel like culture grows organically anymore- so much seems created top-down and disseminated by the media, exploiting people for profit alone. And I don't think parents, good are bad, can compete with or be stronger than the cultural messages that bombard us every day - messages that feed among other things male aggression against women, violence in general, rampant materialism, devaluing of older people/people who don't meet beauty standards/minorities/etc, anti-intellectualism, anti-spirituality, anti-community, selfishness, greed- well that's enough examples. Perhaps my current state of intense weltschmerz reduces my political efficacy, (and I often do feel that I love the world and the people in it), but I also feel it's important to identify what's wrong with the world and try to change it. Or blog incoherently and feel depressed about it at the very least... ;)

Sparrow said...

AND one more thing. I agree with you Zeno that these kids' irreverent cheek is something to be admired. I just wish they would/ hope they will put it to positive use- they got spirit enough to change the world if they want to.