Thursday, February 5, 2009

The great clear-out


I am the first one to tell people how good it feels to have a clear-out. Just ask my boyfriend, a master hoarder. You might not think it if you saw all the stuff in our room- four computers, six art portfolios, a tower of shoe boxes, and assorted hardware of unknown purpose and origin, but I've actually convinced him to get rid of a lot of stuff. However, he still doesn't seem to enjoy it as much as I do. I love going through stuff and throwing stuff away, putting all my papers in order, and piling up bags for charity. But there is one area where the detritus of the past has been left unchecked, and that is my writing. So starting today, upon the advice of an old friend, I am going to launch all the old stories, poems, and fragments I've written onto my blog, where they can happily embark on existences independent of my consciousness. As Joy said of Elsa- "they were born free, and they have the right to live free!"

No comments: